As we’ve mentioned, this post is about the benefits of a standing desk and the ways that you can incorporate it into your office. By using a standing desk and adjusting your posture periodically throughout the day, you can significantly improve your health and productivity. Standing for most of the day is also better for digestion because it gets the blood flowing to internal organs like the stomach.
We’ve compiled 10 great reasons why investing in a home office standing desk would be an excellent investment for anyone:
- You’re likely to improve your posture and overall health by using a standing desk. We’re focusing on posture because it contributes so greatly to the overall health of the human body. A majority of people are completely unaware that their poor posture is damaging their health over time. Having a standing desk will help you embrace good posture for better long-term health and energy levels throughout the day.
- Increasing circulation to major organs is another benefit of using a standing desk. When we stand, blood automatically starts flowing to our internal organs to maintain the proper function of these vital areas within our bodies. Without standing, circulation to our internal organs becomes stagnant, which is a major contributing factor to developing health problems such as cardiovascular disease. This benefit begins to show at about 2 hours of standing.
- Research has indicated that productivity levels are increased by about 10% when using an electric standing desk in the office versus sitting down all day long. That’s a significant difference and it only seems to get better with more time spent standing! There is also less fatigue after a full day of work because energy levels remain consistent throughout the entire day.
- Standing desks can actually help you lose weight! This is due in part to the fact that the longer you stand, the more calories your body burns by simply staying active throughout the day. You can burn about 500 extra calories each day just by standing instead of sitting down. This increases your chances of losing weight and keeping it off, which can lead to a healthier, longer life.
- The negative effect of sitting on blood sugar levels is one more reason why you might want to consider getting a standing desk. Sitting down for long periods has been connected to higher levels of insulin resistance. This could lead to an increased risk for developing Type 2 Diabetes over time. This is another important reason why you should get into the habit of standing up while working at your standing desk!
- Standing desks prevent the development of back problems by making you more active throughout the day. If you are working on your computer all day, you are likely to be less active than a person who spends hours sitting down. Being more active throughout the day prevents back problems due to excessive sitting. Any type of standing desk will help you remain active while working at your desk, which many health experts suggest is the most important part of staying healthy and productive!
- Standing desks can help improve your physical appearance. Many people have saggy skin or excess fat around their midsection; this is mainly because they sit for long periods inside of an office chair each day (this is a form of stress). Standing desks are beneficial to those who need to tone their body and lose some fat around the mid-section. This is another benefit because standing helps burn a fair number of calories each day!
- Standing at your standing desk can reduce the risk of you having a stroke or heart attack. This can be attributed in part to better circulation throughout your body as well as lower risks for developing cardiovascular disease. It’s also worth mentioning that increased productivity levels and reduced fatigue levels will help reduce stress, which is one of the leading causes of both strokes and heart attacks in people today.
- Standing desks make you more proactive in your daily life. Instead of just sitting at your standing desk, you’ll also be able to stretch your legs and stand up for a couple of minutes at a time throughout the day. For someone who is stuck inside an office all day, this can be extremely beneficial for re-energizing your body and keeping yourself from “hitting the wall” during the middle of the day.
- Standing desks promote better circulation for better digestion in comparison to sitting down all day long. This is another great benefit if you are someone that suffers from constipation or other digestive problems.
As you can see from the information above, there are many benefits associated with using a standing desk or even just using your laptop. Using a standing desk is far more beneficial than not changing the way that you work each day. You’ll be surprised to see how much better you’ll feel after just a week or two of getting into the habit of standing up now and then throughout the day.